Can you heal yourself?

Cleaning out a box of old papers recently, I came across some pages that I had pulled out of an old copy of You Can Heal Your Life, by Louise Hay. Do you remember that phenomenon? It was popular in the 1980's--saying affirmations to counteract negative thinking that can show up as physical problems.

So the pages that I saved were the index that lists 1) the ailment, 2) the psychological cause, and 3) the affirmation to turn it around.

For example, for Chills it says the cause is "Mental contraction, pulling away and in. Desire to retreat. Leave me alone." And the affirmation is "I am safe and secure at all times. Love surrounds me and protects me. All is well."

For Colds, it says, "Too much going on at once. Mental confusion, disorder. Small hurts." And the affirmation is "I allow my mind to relax and be at peace. Clarity and harmony are within me and around me."

For Back Pain, it depends on where the pain is. There are different causes for Upper, Middle, and Lower. For Lower Back Problems, the cause listed is "Fear of money. Lack of financial support." The affirmation is "I trust the process of life. All I need is always taken care of. I am safe."

So, just by reading the cause of your ailment, do you think you can fix it? Don't we sometimes know our own neuroses and yet we still continue the dysfunctional behavior? Maybe it's more powerful if you discover the connection on your own, like in a dream. Then it might be more of an epiphany, a realization, an insight. If someone else just tells you the cause, it could just stay on the intellectual plane.

But still this index could help us ponder the cause, pointing to the direction where we might need to look. "Do I really do that? Do I really think that way?"

Also, I think that the body does us a favor by holding onto the issues that the mind just isn't ready to deal with. Or the ailment is actually the way that the mind decides to deal with the issue--a hurt feeling, a fear, a grudge.

Then, if we decide to look at our situation--our karma--the body can be the window into the mind. The mind can be hard to look at directly, being non-material.

Even if I can't change the ailment just by looking at the psychological cause, I find it interesting to ponder, "Oh, now my mind-body system is expressing itself this way." And not, "Why me? Why me?!"

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Does Vajra Become Benza

B-V-W Confusion

Screen Notes from the Mexico Retreat with Lama Zopa Rinpoche, September 2015