Ancestors

I went to see Cave of Forgotten Dreams with a friend last night. The movie was boring (another friend says it's better in 3-D), however I like thinking about people throughout time.

When we meditate on bodhichitta--the attitude of a bodhisattva--we are supposed to think about our connection with all people (and other sentient beings) through our past lives. That means looking at them right now and thinking about how we were related to them in a past life. Then we do our practice for them as a way to repay their kindness.

But I also like to think about my ancestors. If only I can do something meaningful with my life then all my ancestors' lives won't have been pointless.

The paintings at the Chauvet cave are dated to around 30,000 years ago. Let's say one of those people were my ancestor. How many mothers--direct female ancestors--might there have been between then and now. Just to make a guess, let's say there are four generations in a century. 30,000 years is 300 centuries. 300 times 4 equals 1,200. Wow! Can you imagine? Imagine 1,200 grandmothers in a line going back through time, women who managed to stay alive long enough to give birth and protect their daughters so that they could grow up and give birth again.

What did those women do? What did they hope for? What did they achieve? What was it all for?

Whatever hardships they endured, whatever bad karma they created, their efforts eventually ended up in my birth. Now what should I do with that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Does Vajra Become Benza

B-V-W Confusion

Declaration of Interdependence