How Long is a Lifespan?

Some of us have a hard time remembering how old we are once we get up there in years. Recently my friend and I were trying to calculate her age and we found an age calculator online.




http://www.mathcats.com/explore/age/calculator.html
I was surprised to find that the age in minutes seemed shorter than the age in years. Of course, the number was higher, but "years" sounds like "eons" to me, whereas "minutes" are so short.

Also, I am used to calculating large numbers of mantras, 100,000 (Tibetan: bum) being a common number to accumulate. Where I live, we have been trying to accumulate 1.8 million (1,800,000) of a certain mantra, namely, the long mantra of Ksitigarbha, which takes about one minute to recite. Theoretically, it would take one person 3.42 years of reciting non-stop, which would be impossible because of needing to sleep, eat, rest, etc. So, maybe more like 12 years.

How many mantras old are you?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Does Vajra Become Benza

B-V-W Confusion

Declaration of Interdependence