From Another World

Here is a poem by my grandmother, Amma, written in my voice in 1962 when I was 2-1/2 years old. It's uncannily insightful. Also, my mother wrote a note in my baby book that says, "Chattered from the time we can remember, gradually became intelligible." I wonder what I was trying to say. By the way, my parents are very intelligent--not dense or slow as Amma suggests.

Amma's Poem

I'm a little girl named Karen,
Two years old and half to three.
From another world I came here, --
This one's strange and interests me.

There are many people 'round me
Who I have become to know,
But in way of understanding
They seem very very slow.

There's a person I call Daddy,
He's as good as good can be, --
When I try to tell him something
He just stares and stares at me.

He says "what, --what are you saying?"
Ah, I wasn't making sense,
I give up and turn to playing, --
Sometimes he acts very dense.

Then there's someone I call Mother,
Loving care she gives to me,
And I tell her things of import, --
She just gazes tenderly.

A third member, brother Karl-Nik
He is not much company,
He can't run or walk or nothin'
And he moves so clumsily.

Oh! I love so much these people,
They are very good to me,
Soon I hope I'll get through to them
What I tell decidedly.

To my dear little grand-daughter,
October 1962

Comments

  1. Fantastic. Thank you for sharing this in Facebook. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your parents weren't dense. But, we had the experience for a few months when we couldn't understand our son, but his 21-month older sister could. So, for a while she translated for us. We would think, "That's what he said?"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Does Vajra Become Benza

B-V-W Confusion

Screen Notes from the Mexico Retreat with Lama Zopa Rinpoche, September 2015